Saturday, March 23, 2024

Advocating for the threefold gospel

I find myself a roaring prophet in my class when I discuss Jesus's teaching and Paul's gospel. They are Jews committed to the common teaching rooted in God's righteousness in their context. Paul, in particular, brought a God-centered theology through the teachings of Jesus, emphasizing the participation of believers anchored in the faith of Jesus. I refer to this understanding of Paul as a threefold gospel/faith/theology, where we see God's righteousness, Jesus's faithfulness, and Christians' participation. This threefold gospel/faith/theology is the cornerstone of my understanding of Paul's teachings, and I have long advocated for it. The more I read Paul's work, the more convinced I become of the significance of this theology and its potential to change lives.

For more about this kind of theology, read my book, How to Read Paul.