Saturday, June 4, 2022

Job's Suffering and Justice

[Courtesy of FreeBibleImages.org] 


Job does not know why he suffers and argues that he is blameless. Even if he is not sinless or perfect, he does not deserve such excruciating suffering. He concludes that God must be cruel or impartial because "He destroys both the blameless and the wicked" (Job 9:22). So, he feels nothing and laments: "If I am wicked, woe to me! If I am righteous, I cannot lift up my head, for I am filled with disgrace and look upon my affliction. Bold as a lion you hunt me; you repeat your exploits against me" (Job 10:15-16).

Job operates within the traditional theology of reward and punishment and struggles to understand his innocent suffering. In this view, the logic is "you reap what you sow." But he challenges this traditional wisdom because it does not work for him. In later chapters, he even points out that his friends are not faultless and the wicked are at ease (Job 12:6; 13:7-12). He persistently argues that he is blameless and does not deserve all-loss calamity, including his unbearable suffering. He knows that normative wisdom failed in his eyes. He must live and deal with the traditional worldview. Worse, no one heard him. Even God is silent. His three friends keep saying: "You have sinned; you deserve punishment; repent; then you will prosper again." Traditional theology intoxicated his friends. They don't listen to him at all. They speak all the time. Job is even more despondent and dejected.

The alternative worldview may help Job understand his misery better. That is, anyone falls victim to anything under heaven. Tragedy may happen anywhere to anyone. In that regard, heaven and earth are merciless and impartial. In the case of Job, suffering or misfortune is caused not necessarily by God's action or due to sin. As the sun shines on all, and as the storm hits anyone, things may happen to anyone (c.f., Matt 5:45; Dao De Jing 5).

As we approach the end of the Book of Job, God appears finally and speaks to Job. But he still does not answer Job why he suffers. Perhaps the only good news is that God is there with him.

*See my article about Job 


JOB 9:15-22 (NRSVue):

9:15 Though I am innocent, I cannot answer him;
I must appeal to my accuser for my right.
16 If I summoned him and he answered me,
I do not believe that he would listen to my voice.
17 For he crushes me with a tempest
and multiplies my wounds without cause;
18 he will not let me get my breath
but fills me with bitterness.
19 If it is a contest of strength, he is the strong one!
If it is a matter of justice, who can summon him?
20 Though I am innocent, my own mouth would condemn me;
though I am blameless, he would prove me perverse.
21 I am blameless; I do not know myself;
I loathe my life.
22 It is all one; therefore I say, ‘He destroys both the blameless and the wicked.’