Sunday, October 8, 2023

Remembering my promotion to full professor

Two years have passed since my promotion to full professor. I don't set ambitious goals for myself anymore. I ask, "Why do I teach? For whom do I write? Can my teaching affect real people?"

I cherish the promotion letter I received on June 15, 2021.


June 15, 2021

Dear Dr. Yung Suk Kim:

Congratulations! As Provost and Senior Vice President of Academic Affairs at Virginia Union University (VUU), it is my great honor to provide official notice that you have been promoted to the rank of Full Professor (hereafter, "Professor"), effective July 1, 2021.

In keeping with the University's policies through the Division of Academic Affairs, outlined in the Faculty Handbook, initial recommendations were made by the Faculty Advancement (i.e., "Tenure & Promotion") Committee after its Fall 2020 meeting to the Provost, who then conducted a thorough review and evaluation of all cases and recommendations. The Provost's recommendations were presented to the President in Spring 2021 and were subsequently approved by the Academic Affairs Committee of the VUU Board of Trustees at the May 2021 meeting.

Promotion reflects the strength of your accomplishments in teaching, research/scholarship, professional engagement, and service to VUU. As your Provost, I want to acknowledge the significance of your achievement and thank you for your dedicated commitment to academic excellence, student success, and our quest to become "Best in Class." 

Tenure and/or promotion are time-honored rewards in the academy that affirm the valuable contributions of individual faculty members to achieving VUU's vision, advancing its mission, and ensuring its graduates receive "the promise of a limitless future." I know you will continue to contribute to the University in years to come and I look forward to celebrating this achievement at our Fall Faculty/Staff Awards reception. More information about that special event is forthcoming.

Again, congratulations.

Dominus Providebit,

Terrell L. Strayhorn, PhD
Provost & Senior Vice President, Academic Affairs
Professor of Urban Education
Director, Center for the Study of HBCUs