Saturday, February 5, 2022

Discussion about John 14:6

This morning I talked about the Fourth Gospel in my class, and my students were asked to discuss it in their group: "How can you interpret John 14:6 ("I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father except through me")? Does it exclude other people or other religions? Or, is there a way we can interpret it differently, finding a space for interfaith dialogue and public moral engagement with them?" Long ago, I grappled to answer these questions and wrote a deceptively slender book (see below). Or read the chapter on John in my co-authored book: Toward Decentering the New Testament.

I have long thought that John 14:6 has been greatly misunderstood. For me, John 14:6 is not a divine confirmation statement excluding other religions or people but a Christological (Messianic) functional statement pointing to his work of God. Along the same lines, all the seven "I am" sayings of Jesus must be understood as the description of his work of God, as he testifies to the truth of God (18:37), delivering the word of God (ch 17), embodying the invisible word/truth of God (1:14).