Thursday, September 23, 2021

When you think you hit the bottom of yourself

I am here because of my students. I am not perfect, but my passion for teaching and student success in class has always remained the same. I care for them. I care about their learning and unlearning. I believe critical study can reshape their understanding of scripture, society, church, and humanity. Writing is an essential part of rigorous study, and it is indispensable for academic success. I will do everything I can to help them prosper. I will encourage them to learn, teaching them what they need. I will also learn from them. On the first day of class, I begin with the following:

Trust God.
Trust yourself.
Trust your instructor.
Trust each other.
Trust the process.
We are in this together.

When you feel there is no hope within you, trust God. When you think you hit the bottom of yourself, that is not the end of the story. Don't beat yourself up. Look up to heaven. Remember that you are an able student. Trust yourself. Honor your instructor, and you may learn more than you expect. Consider your peers not as competitors but as learning partners. When things go rough--through hump and bump--stay the course. Ask for help. There is always a way out if you ask. Trust the process. We are all in this together.