Saturday, May 11, 2019

An honorable day

Today, at Virginia Union University commencement, I was honored to receive the Scott & Stringfellow Outstanding Professor Award. It comes with a monetary gift. This is a true blessing on my birthday. I thank my family, friends, students, colleagues, and others who have supported me tirelessly. In the last 14 years, I have tried my best and will continue to strive for excellence. Danny Glover spoke powerfully to the graduating class of 2019; he said something like this: “Resistance and sustainable activism are the ingredients of social change.” He is an award-winning actor, producer ("Color Purple" movie) and humanitarian. One other notable thing at this ceremony was one alum’s (Dr. Virginia Howerton, ‘65) donation of 2.5 million dollars to the university, the largest one-time gift from anyone in the history of Virginia Union University. Indeed, she made a lasting impact on many graduates who heard her speaking today.